Saturday, April 28, 2012

Coming home

Coming home.... the other day I was sitting in an artists' home in Richmond waiting for her to take prints of Nan's hands and I was reminded of home... her house was charming, cluttered, there were stacks of books, mugs of half drunk coffee, a yellow lab, a TV on in the back ground, and smells of lemon zest from the kitchen....  She kept apologizing for keeping me so long and I remember thinking that I wish she would delay us longer.  What will make Nan and Berkley feel like they are coming home?  Certainly there will be things that bring them back to their childhood.  For me, I am transported back when I hear John Prine or James Taylor, when I see someone cooking something from scratch, when I see laundry blowing on a line or a big yellow labs, and I could go on...  I am not sure what brings Brandon home - maybe it is the smell of a fire at camp or eating some Portuguese food... Here's to hoping our kids love the feeling of 'coming home' as much as I do.
















No comments:

Post a Comment